top of page

The Roots of my life go back as far as my Great Grandfather.  Gardening is a gene that has been passed down in my family from generation to generation.  It serves as a metaphor for life.  Deep strong roots keep you firmly grounded in tradition, passion and happiness!

For years, I have served as a helpful role to those seeking inspiration, help, or advice. In 2020,  I finally decided to own that role and be intentional about it. I started writing about my passions, my thoughts, and curious wonderings about our society. I founded A farm girls life! with a mission to give others a taste of what goes on in my mind, and it has been a wild success ever since.

Contact Me

Memorial Weekend Maddness!

Hey there my friend's! So I haven't caught you up on all our shenanigans. On Tuesday before Memorial weekend we had one of our Collies come in season! This time it was Lovey an older tri-color. We had to get a progesterone test done on her so we knew where she was in her cycle. So I took her down to the clinic at Strafford MO. My daughter Sam road along with me this time. We got the test done but before we left to come home it poured on us. The staff at the clinic put her test in the machine and forgot about it! When I checked on it they realized what they had done. So we had to wait an extra hour to get our results! My very pregnant daughter was hungry so we left to go get lunch at McDonald's! We got an extra burger for Lovey who thought it was delicious.

Of course their dining room was still closed so we sat in the car to eat. While we were sitting there it began to rain. Then it began to pour! When we went back to the clinic it was still pouring! We sat there for a little while hoping it would let up. It didn't, so I made a mad dash from my van to the clinic! I was soaked! We finally got our results. They told us to bring her back on Saturday and that she would probably be ready to breed by then . Our plan was to take her to Chris our breeder friend in Illinois. She has three breeding males that are noncarriers for Collie eye, MDR1 and a bunch of other things that have become an issue in the Collie world 🌎!

So Saturday dawned and we loaded up the van. We didn't have anyone to leave our Grandson's with so they had to come along! We were supposed to go to to the Strafford clinic first but my husband Tom had farm issues that had to be taken care of first. To make a long story shorter we didn't leave until 10:00. In order to get the new progesterone test done we would have had to get to Strafford by 8:00 am. The clinic closes on Saturday at noon. So we just decided to load up Lovey and the boys and just head to Illinois!

It was a 9 hour drive 🚗 to get to Chris! The boys messed with each other all the way there and back! They literally drove us crazy. The last time we did this with Honey we got there at midnight. This time we got there about 8:00 pm. It was kind of funny, the boys had worn themselves out by then. Jeremiah asked me, "Nana can we go home now? I'm tired!" My answer, "Uh, No!" We were just about to get to Chris's! Fortunately Chris had a Grandson visiting. He took Izaiah and Jeremiah with him and they played to their hearts content. You know, other kids toys are always cooler than yours! We had decided to use Chris's tri-factored sable. Everything worked out perfect and we had a natural breeding! So in August we are expecting an exceptional litter of puppies 🐶! Chris gave us a tour of her kennel. Since we are still in the process of rebuilding ours we really appreciated it. Then we practically had to drag the boys back to the van. We all loaded up and went in search of a hotel for the night. One that allows pets. Unlike the time before we actually got a full night's rest and headed back. Illinois is a beautiful State to travel through! It was still a long ride even though we stopped a lot for the boys and Lovey!

One of the places we stopped was at the Mississippi River. It was a pretty little town called Clarksville. They had a lock and dam there.

As a lot of you know by now, I am a Camera Geek! So I brought my tripod and camera along, hoping to get a chance to play with it! When we stopped at the Mississippi I got a chance to take pictures! I set up my tripod and camera and I was ready to go! I turned my camera on, the battery was good I adjusted my aperture and shutter speed. Then I noticed there was no SD card in the camera! I left it in our laptop at home and I didn't even think to grab it! I was so disappointed!

So I used my cell phone instead. I have to admit that I use my cellphone 📱alot! It takes really good pictures 📷 and I always have it with me! I got some great pictures of the town, the river and the boys.

We finally reached home late in the evening. Tom had some daylight to check on the farm 🚜. Our adult kids did a good job of taking care of everything! The boys were very happy 😊to be back home! So was I!

So that was our Memorial weekend! Talk to you later! FG Farm Girl!

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page